Year of unveiling
Person/persons/event to whom the monument is dedicated
The monument is dedicated to an outstanding chemist and physicist, co-founder of the science of radioactivity, two-time Nobel Prize winner Maria Curie-Skłodowska (1876-1934).
Lublin, Maria Curie Skłodowska Street
Location in relation to the surroundings
The monument stands on a large square named after the patroness, between the buildings of Physics and Chemistry of the Maria Curie-Skłodowska University and the rectorate of the Maria Curie-Skłodowska University, which did not exist until 1964.
Text of the inscription
Front: Maria Curie-Skłodowska University of her name and society
in the back: On the 20th anniversary of the University 1944-1964
on the basis of the statue on the right-hand side the author's signature: Marian Konieczny
A bronze cast figure (4.4 m high), placed on a two-part granite faced pedestal (bottom part 5 x 5 m) with a total height of 4 m. Dressed in a long robe with large, rolled-up sleeves, the scientist stands with her arms lowered, holding the book in her right hand.
The circumstances of unveiling
The monument to the patroness of the Maria Curie-Skłodowska University was erected from the idea of the university senate. The unveiling was the culmination of the celebration of the university's 20th anniversary. Its creator is Marian Konieczny (in cooperation with, among others, Stanisław Ciechan). The monument was unveiled on 24 October 1964.
The monument is a popular meeting place among students. It is also the central place of an academic town - a complex of university buildings and student houses of the Maria Curie-Skłodowska University, the Catholic University of Lublin and the University of Life Sciences.
Publications, sources, links