Location in relation to the surroundings
The memorial is located in the city center.
Text of the inscription
TO THE MEMORY OF AMERICAN SOLDIERS PAMÁTCE AMERICKÝM VOJÁKŮM ZA OSVOBOZENÍ
CHEBU (to the memory of US soldiers for the liberation of city of Cheb on 25 April 1945 ) 25.IV.1945 VĚNUJÍ SOPV 1947 OF A ČSL 1990
97TH INFANTRY DIVISION LIEUTENANT WETZEL WILLIAM B. , PADGETT RICHARD P. ,MATTFELD JOHN P., POUND DONALD J. SERGEANT DEAN LEWIS, FOLEY RAYMOND T., TERRY EARLE R., BLASCO JOSEPH E., BROWN REX F., URDANOFF JORDON J., WRIGHT DONALD H. ,GILLHAM IVAN B., GRIFFITH ROY A. , GUTHRIE JOHN, SMITH OTTO A. CORPORALGERLING WARREN C., GOLTMAN DAVID M., WEYHRAUCH WESLEY W. BROWN VINCENT J.FIELD STANLEY H., VAN VANKELNBERG J.G., VERON GEORGE E. , WHITE HARRY V. ,ZAHLER ARTELL F., ANDERSON ERNEST E., CADENBACH WALTER L. GABROWSEK CHARLES G., GASPER THOMAS M., TURNER ARNETT W., WAMSLEY HARLEY T., CONKLIN LEWIS W. ,KITTSMILLER LLOYD A., MCFALDA GEORGE J., LIPPS EDWIN F., MOFFETT ROBERT W. ,NEIDERT HENRY, PIPKIN GEORGE A., PODEMSKI RICHARD S. , STRANGE DONALD L. SWAROWSKY RUDOLF A. PRIVATE BOGAR JACK V., BORCHARDT MARLEN H., BOWSER RAY F. ,BUTTERWECK EARL R., CLOUSE CHARLES R., HEICHELBECK B.J. , TAUBE RICHARD T. ,HUMPHRIES VERON R., FREY CHARLES M., PALLI BERNARD A., ROY ROBERT A. , SMART WILLIAM L.
1ST INFANTRY DIVISION LIEUTENANT DROZ JOSEPH, BARKER ELTON SERGEANT WIRA KELMER, KUTCH ANDY M., COBISKEY RAYMOND J., GOODLING LEE, HUGHES GERARD T. ,GAUCHER WALLACE H. JR., HASKINS GEORGE, MYERS RONALD A. , DOMINIC SAMUEL V. CORPORAL MERRIL LEON M., HAYES TOMMY, MILLS ROBERT A. , MOSHER ELZA, SPAINWILLIAM A. JR., MARSHALL LAWRENCE PRIVATE PIOTEREK BRUNO C., BRESCOACH LOUIE
The memorial is dedicated to the US soldiers by Mr Aleš Kucera and his family with the help of the city of Cheb, the Union of Friends of the USA and other unnamed people, who were not indifferent to the concealment of the truth in times of non-freedom. March 1990
It consists from two granite panels and one block. The first granite part has dimensions 200 x 100 cm. Second part is 200 x 60 cm. The block is 50 x 30 x 30 cm. On the panels are the names of the soldiers and the emblem of the relevant military unit.
The circumstances of unveiling
The monument was originally unveiled on April 27, 1946, on the anniversary of the liberation of Cheb by the US Army. In 1951 it was removed and a limited, slightly modified copy was unveiled after the fall of Communism on April 27, 1990.
The monument was unveiled in the presence of the US Ambassador on April 27, 1946. During the Communist totalitarian regime in 1951, it was removed and destroyed. In 1990 it was restored. The monument was paid by a local citizen Aleš Kučera and the Czechoslovak People's Party contributed CZK 5,000. The monument was revealed again on April 27, 1990 in the presence of US Ambassador to Czechoslovakia Mrs Shirley Temple-Black.
During the Communist totalitarian regime, it was not possible to commemorate the liberation of West Bohemia by the US military. Many memorials were destroyed and removed. Instead, Soviet Red-army memorials were installed, even in cities where they had never stepped. Commemorative events are held regularly on the anniversary of the liberation of the town of Cheb.
Publications, sources, links